So, today, I released the latest update to my X-Transformer guide. It should have gone relatively straightforward. I was even ahead of schedule. I had uploaded the revised products to my server, and updated the information on the page, all before 9am. I scheduled the email blast to let people know. I thought I was done. But unfortunately, my day was just beginning.
I made a tiny little error when updating the product page on the store. In fact, i didn’t even realise that this was a problem until now. You see, when creating a downloadable product on my server, I add the downloads to the product in the server back end, much like lines on a spreadsheet. Normally, when updating I just change the existing entries. This time, I deleted the existing entries and added new ones. This shouldn’t make a difference, but it turns out it does. It seems that my store software, WooCommerce doesn’t like that, and it decided to remove the download permissions from everyone who had already bought the software.
Of course it didn’t tell me this, and the first I heard of it was when a customer emailed me to tell me they couldn’t find their files. At first I thought it was a one off glitch, but when I checked a few more, I realised that everyone who had bought it was affected. the fix was easy enough. There is a button on the back-end of the software that allows you to re-generate the download permissions The problem is, there’s no way to automate this process. You have to do it one by one.
So, I had to search for all the affected orders, and one by one, manually re-generate the download permissions. There were over 500 to go through. Manually, by hand. It took me several hours, but I eventually managed to do them all. Unfortunately a few still slipped through the cracks, as you might imagine when trying to go through 500 orders one by one by hand.
Anyway, what should have been a simple update ended up being an absolute nightmare, and I’m still getting emails from irked previous customers looking for their updated guide. If you’ve been affected by this I do apologise. It was a one off glitch, caused by my own fault, although to be fair, I had no idea that this was a problem.
I won’t make that mistake again.
Please sign in to leave a comment.