[UPDATE - May 2017]
Update 2 - Appears to be resolved
A few issues have been reported. PayPal seems to be experiencing technical issues related to accepting payments at the moment. This appears to be a pay pal wide issue affecting a few sites. If you're having issues paying via pay pal, please use Stripe for the moment. I am in contact with PayPal in an attempt to identify if there are any issues with my side, but it appears to be a system outage
If you encounter a problem please let me know as soon as possible.
[UPDATE - March 2017]
PayPal issues seem to have been resolved. If you encounter a problem please let me know as soon as possible.
[UPDATE - FEB 2017]
I have switched back to the standard PayPal payment gateway. This means that the checkout process is a bit less confusing, and should lead to less issues, as the flow makes more sense. It seems to be working better, but this did present problems in the pas, so I am monitoring it as best I can. If you experience any problems please let me know straight away.
Specifically, if you place an order and it comes up as "on hold" or "pending" and you have been billed, then let me know immedietly and I will manually complete your order.
(Pease bear in mind that I am based in Ireland, and I will answer as soon as I can, but depending on where you are in the world, it may be in the middle of the night here)
[Update Jan 2017 - ]3
I have restored Paypal functionality to the store. I've also changed the store theme (design) so that the chekcout process is easier to navigate
[Update Jan 2017 - 2]
I have disabled Paypal as there continues to be problems with PayPal integration on the store. I understand that this is frustrating to a lot of people as that is the only way that they can pay. I am working to restore Paypal integration as soon as possible.
I hope to have PayPal back online by the end of the first week in February (Feb 4th) - within the next seven days at the time of writing this article.
What is the problem exactly?
The reason that I have disabled PayPal is due to a conflict with the way PayPal is integrated with the system that powers the store (WoooCommerce). What was happening was that a small number of customers would find that when the entered their Paypal details, which happens in a pop-up window, PayPal would occasionally not return control to the store server, and it would result in a customer not being able to compete an order.
I have tried many things to resolve this, in conjunction with server specialists. We have the issue narrowed down to a potential issue with a theme conflict and the PayPal integration. In order to fix the issue (hopefully) I need to change the current theme on the store (the design, basically) but in order to do that, I have to prepare the replacement, then take the store online and make the necessary changes.
Hopefully, I should be able to do that in the next several days. I will keep you updated here once the service has been restored.
[Update Jan 2017 - 2]
I have temporarily disabled PayPal express as I believe that this is the cause of most people's problems. I will continue to update as this is investigated further.
[Update Jan 2017]
I have moved the store to a new hosting company, and I hope this has resolved the issue with PayPal appearing to time out, however a small number of customers has still reported the issue.
If you're having problems please follow the steps below, and that will mostly resolve the issue, however...
If your pay pal account shows that you've paid but you can't download your purchase, let me know (use the submit a request button above) and I'll sort it out as soon as possible.
If you are having problems, please let me know so I can report the issue to PayPal.
[Update Nov 2016]
There are still sporadic issues with Paypal. Occasionally, PayPal does not complete the payment part of the process. Again, this appears to be a bug with the way PayPal handles the transaction hand off to WooCommerce. If you're having problems, here are possible solutions:
- There are two ways to pay by Pay Pal. PayPal express and normal PayPal through the checkout. PayPal express lets you just use your Paypal account to fill out the account details. You can access this by clicking on the PayPal button on the shopping cart page. The other method is to select PayPal (account) from the payment methods on the checkout page.
- When paying by PayPal Express (Using the Pay Pal button on the shopping cart rather than going through the checkout), when you complete the PayPal part of the transaction, you are re-directed back to the shopping cart to confirm and complete the transaction, and also to create an account. Make sure you complete this last step, or the purchase won't be completed.
- When paying by PayPal via the normal checkout process, when you click on the Place Order button, a pop-up window will open asking you to log into PayPal. After your enter your details in the Pop-Up pay Pal window and submit for payment, it may take a few seconds to fully process the payment. During this part of the process the checkout page will be dimmed and it may appear as if nothing is happening. It takes a few seconds, so don't reload or change the page while this is doing this.
- Very occasionally there is a problem with PayPal where it doesn't complete, and nothing happens after you complete the payPal step. If this happens, check your papal account to make sure it hasn't been processed. You can then complete the payment by going to
and locating the order and clicking on the pay button. This appears to be a problem with PayPal, but it only happens occasionally.
- If your pay pal account shows that you've paid but you can't download your purchase, let me know (use the submit a request button above) and I'll sort it out as soon as possible.
I have now restored PayPal as a payment option on the store. I am using a different gateway, which hopefully will resolve the ongoing issues. The new pay pane service is provided by Braintree, which is a PayPal subsidiary, and uses a more modern and hopefully reliable connection to connect from PayPal to the store.
You now have the option of paying with PayPal express. With this method, you don't have to fill out the account form, it will be filled out using your PayPal details. To do this, go to the Shopping Cart and click on the PayPal checkout button as opposed to the regular checkout button.
If you have paid by PayPal and you still get issues with order processing, please let me know as quickly as possible and I will endeavour to sort out your order.
Here's the original article and what happened Previously.....
Due to some ongoing problems with PayPal, and the effect it is having on my store, I am temporarily disabling PayPal as a payment option from the store. Until I get the issues resolved I have to disable the PayPal option, and unfortunately you can now only pay by credit card.
When a customer goes to buy something via PayPal, they complete the transaction on PayPal’s servers, and then that information is passed back to the store server behind the scenes. Or at least that's what's supposed to happen. Lately, for reasons outside my control, this information has been either delayed coming back to my server, or just isn't passed on. This results in customers orders not being fulfilled properly. As this is unacceptable for customers, I have no choice but to disable Paypal and an option until an alternative solution can be found.
I hope to have this resolved as soon as possible. I apologise for the inconvenience.
I will update this Help Centre article when I have more information and the problem is resoled.
I am currently testing an alternative solution which should solve the problems with PayPal. Once it has been sufficiently tested, I will restore PayPal as an option